Train on...

Or get out of the way of the revolution!

Thursday 3 July 2008

Would you survive?

So, what do I consider essential fitness skills for surviving in the wild?

1) Being able to lift my own body weight.
2) Being able to outrun my opponent.

That’s it, simple.

I am planning on getting better at these things over time. I am planning on getting better at these thing slowly, progressively and without injury (if you’re injured, you’re dead right?)

I am planning on setting myself goals, and then coming up with strategies to help me achieve these goals.

The basic goals I think everyone should have when starting their Wilderness Survival Training are as follows,

1) Be able to outrun 5 random people (or at least, not be last, the last one gets eaten by a bear).
So, select 5 people at random (this must be random to simulate survivors of a downed plane), ask them how fast they can run 5K. If you aren’t the slowest, or second to slowest, you pass.
(FYI, if they don’t run at all, you can beat them)


2) Be able to haul your fat ass up a trees. (To escape a bear obviously, although someone recently pointed out to me, Bears climb trees, but fuck it, I will safely assume it eats the fatty still on the ground, struggling to climb up)
I judge this by being able to do 4 pull-ups, whatever way you find easiest. I know this isn’t the most scientific way of checking this, but fuck it!

So, can you do both of these?

No comments: