Train on...

Or get out of the way of the revolution!

Thursday 3 July 2008

In the beginning there was only...

So, what's all this about?
Well, I have basically decided to keep a record of my training and progress. The reason? Well I have been going the gym for about 7 years on and off (like most people) and always thought I was in reasonably good shape until I saw this, http://www.beastskills.com/. So at this point I realised that I was in fact a complete weakling who would struggle to lift my own body weight…
So in an attempt to make some real training progress I have decided to chronicle my progress - from 30year old, bicep curling, jogging, crisp eating , beer swilling fatty (I would rather die that give up beer BTW) to someone that might have a fighting chance if lost in the wilderness with a group of other survivors.
Can I outrun that bear? (or at least out run other survivors, and while the beast is feasting on their twitching body make my getaway) climb a rock face, or be able to beat the crap out of another human for the last of the rations.

I don’t want to be a runner, body builder nor gymnast. So what do I want? I want to be able to say with confidence,

If I was lost in the wilderness, I would have a fighting chance.

Think about it for a minute, your plane goes down and you and a bunch of others are lost in the wilderness. Do you live or die?
So, you have lost your glasses, you’re dead. You’re fat and can’t run, you’re dead. You can’t climb a tree or rock face, you’re dead.

I could go on and on…

So I have broken it down, these are what I need to work on, to give me a fighting chance.

- Cardiorespiratory (CR) endurance - the efficiency with which the body delivers oxygen and nutrients needed for muscular activity and transports waste products from the cells.
- Muscular strength - the greatest amount of force a muscle or muscle group can exert in a single effort.
- Muscular endurance - the ability of a muscle or muscle group to perform repeated movements with a sub-maximal force for extended periods of time.
- Flexibility - the ability to move the joints (for example, elbow, knee) or any group of joints through an entire, normal range of motion.
- Body composition - the amount of body fat a person has in comparison to his total body mass.

No comments: