Train on...

Or get out of the way of the revolution!

Tuesday 2 September 2008

Handstand Push-up Advice

Comrades, my quest to do a fully handstand push-up is finally at an end. I am extremely comfortable doing 1 handstand push-up, but the second handstand push-up still feels a little weak. (I can live with that, now I can do a single one I am so very happy!)

One thing I found that really aided me was being able to do enough hand-stand push-ups against the wall. I would say, about 10 in a row is about right for a skill like this. I found that a lot more strength is required for the handstand push-up (unassisted) than the handstand push-up (wall assisted). This may seem obvious but I was really surprised at the difference in strength that’s required. When doing the HSPU unassisted you need to be able to recruit a lot more stabilising muscles in order to hold the position, without this basic core strength this move is impossible, no matter how big or strong you think your shoulder muscles are.

So, if you are struggling to hold the handstand push-up as you lower yourself to the group, try incorporating some Core Work into your workouts.

Another important aspect is hand/body position. If you don’t have the correct hand positioning then this move it a complete bitch, if not impossible. What I found was that if my hands are too close together, I’m unable to generate the required strength on the positive section of the move. But, if my hands are wider than shoulder width apart I’m able to generate the strength to get me back up. I suppose this really depends of everyone’s body type but it's something to keep in mind.




Another extremely important piece of advice is that the legs should be straight and controlled. If they aren’t, you really are making things difficult for yourself. The perfect way to do this is to squeeze the ankles together and point the toes.





Until you have your legs under control, I really wouldn’t bother with attempting the Handstand Push-up and simply concentrate on achieving a nice Handstand first.

Hope this helps someone.
Train on for the revolution!

2 comments:

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

great post!
great advice!
need i say more?
NO, but I will b/c that's the type of guy I am.... :-)

My HSPU against the wall is solid, and today I did 3 sets w/o too much back pain, so I am on my way to recovery, I think... what I find is that even while against the wall, sometimes I just go into the unassisted handstand. I think it's the comfort of the wall that allows me to do it. also getting up with a good kick and pike press has proved difficult with my back, so need to pretty much start over in that area, which sucks! i also notice that the HSPU (assisted) while holding one leg away from the wall (i.e. only using 1 leg to assist) is also helpful, and harder, also to my amazement. so i have started doing 2-4 sets of wall assisted HSPU's while holding 1 leg away from the wall, or only using 1 leg for support. I hope this will help me advance forward.

you are a beast!

Anonymous said...

WHERE HAVE I BEEN?

just clickstumbled on over here...
late to the soiree as usual.

Miz.