Train on...

Or get out of the way of the revolution!

Saturday 20 September 2008

My Tiger Style is immensely strong...


So, I was trawling the net ages ago and stumbled across a interesting page about hand-stands. I remember reading something about making a claw shape on the floor for added strengh in the fore arms. I really didn't pay much attention to this at the time but last night i remembered this advice and decided to give it a go.

My God! It really does work. So, if you're having a hard time hold a handstand try the following.


Rather than placing your hand on the floor like this, make a claw shape and attemp to claw the floor. This will provide you will added fore arm strengh.


This technique has improved my handstand by a long way.

Hope this helps someone else.

Viva La Revelucion!

4 comments:

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

giles,

cool post. very helpful. I have noticed, anecdotally, that it is easier when i use the claw technique, plus it should help me get the wrist flexibility for my kung fu!
thank - great post.

Unknown said...

Ahh grasshopper, you have learned the art of the Chinese! lol

When I used to do Kung Fu we did press ups on our finger tips.

Another one was to place just the first and second knuckles of each hand on the floor and do push ups that way.

Both very good for forearms.

gilesdm said...

"Another one was to place just the first and second knuckles of each hand on the floor"

Try doing a handstand that way! Ouch! :)

Jim said...

Have you still been trying this curled finger position? Any words of experience? Just got a one on one session with a Chinese acrobat and he recommended a similar position (slightly different curl to fingers).

He says that it strengthens the fingers very well, and allows one to do handstands on other people (as is the ultimate goal for much of chinese acrobatics).

Anyway, I'll be putting together a post soon from all I learned in the private session! Hope your training is going well!