Train on...

Or get out of the way of the revolution!

Tuesday 23 September 2008

Tuck Planche (Kind of)



So, this is my (attempted) Tuck Planche. This move is actually extremely difficult, or so I am finding.

I can’t even imagine the amount of strength that is going to be required to hold myself in the Advanced Tuck Planche as I am majorly struggling with the basic Tuck Planche.

When doing the handstand the body’s skeletal structure takes most of the weight and the muscles simply hold the body in place. With the Planche most of the body is supported by the muscles with minimal support from the skeletal structure.

I have been practising this for a month now, and only recently have I managed to hold the Tuck Planche, as briefly as it may be.

For me the most important thing is the fact that I am doing it correctly (as far as I can tell, if anyone has any suggestion please speak up) with my back being parallel to the floor and my legs unsupported on my knees or inner thigh. The Tuck Planche isn’t to be confused with the Crane/Crow stance in Yoga were the legs rest on the arms.




Of course, it’s about leverage, and the more vertical to the floor the spine is the easier this becomes. Saying this, the more vertical the spine becomes, the less it’s a Tuck Planche, and more a Handstand.

I am planning to keep improving this, gaining in strength in order to hold the position for longer.

My arms need to be straighter and eventually I will start to move my legs further out but this is something I am going to progress to and it will probably take some time to achieve.

But, for now I am pleased with this, even though it’s only a 3 second hold :)

And this is what is should look like, in about 10 years! :)



Train on brothers!

13 comments:

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

looks good mate, can you kick back into the plank planche? are you working toward that?

gilesdm said...

haha!
No way dude! Give me a year and maybe... :)

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

yeah
that is crazy hard

btw, how was your weekend with Lance?
no wife ass smacking, eh?

gilesdm said...

hahaha!

Unfortunately I didn't get to go for a beer with Lance as something come up, hope to do it this week although I have 2 birthdays and a wedding anniversary party to go to :(

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

holy shite mate, you keep yourself busy in AND out of the gym! we are heading to a weekend as well - in Philadelphia - flying up and then driving my truck and some more stuff back to georgia - it's only 998 miles (12 hours drive!!!!) ugh!!!!!
Then the following weekend we drive (another 7 hour drive) to florida for another wedding.

anyhow, how's things at good old Executive Fitness Clinics? same crew running around?

Unknown said...

I'll be sharing location with you briefly then prof. Sorry for turning this into a social meeting. Transferring in Phili on Saturday en route to San Fran. Can't wait.

Week off from the gym. Damn it!

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

hey paul - you hitting san fran for holiday or permanent move to the states?
If you have anytime in Philly whatsoever (i was born there) you should one ore more of the following:
(Dan, also sorry to make this a social site... your blog is turning into facebook... LOL)

1) run up the stairs at the Philadelphia Museum of Art (these are the Rocky stairs from the famous movies about Rocky balboa the boxer

2) eat a philly cheesesteak at Jim's Steaks on south street - fucking good fattening food!

3) visit south street - when i was there last it still had a neat village feel - some weirdoes and two dedicated sex toy shops which are always fun to tool around in

4) visit old city - ask a taxi to take you there they will know it - there are about 30 over priced bars and restaurants, but we all know what you get with over priced bars.. great looking women looking for some bloke to buy them a drink

Cheers and have a great time.

gilesdm said...

Give me back my fitness blog you rat bastards ;) Next you will be uploading videos of yourselves doing the latest girl band dance! :)

Anyway, quick introductions, Ste meet Paul - best mate from school, inspired me to start lifting weights, in a band together many moons ago. Paul, meet Ste, met in Executive Fitness Clinics, inspired to me persist with the Beast Skills (and confirmed that I wasn't mad and doing completly the wrong thing:) Also, he's one cleaver bastard, check out his blog, I think you will like it Paul. http://evotraining.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Cheer Prof,

I'm off to San Fran for holidays, just a week, so lots to squeeze in!!!

Thanks for the tips on Philli. I am only stopping in the airport for a couple of hours, however I love the States - NY, Miami, LA, Los Vegas, Chicago, Hawaii have all been done. Philli could easily feature in the next couple of years!

Prof. Steven M. Platek said...

paul, nice to meet you.
sounds like you have been to more places in USA than me and I was f-ing born here... LOL

My wife is from sarasota - it is wonderful.
Good luck in Birmingham
and your training.

Dan, thanks for the intros!

Anonymous said...

Your arms must be straight (locked elbows). Think about Coach Sommer wrote "Almost straight is still bend".

gilesdm said...

Yea, excellent point!

I will practise!

Anonymous said...

ive been working on the same thing for a while and i find its easier if u do it on ur fingertips, because then it doesn't hurt ur wrists as much.